Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Shutdown, there are times when no one can help me and I can't help myself

Currently in Autistic Shutdown
A few days ago, I had a traumatic experience behind the wheel of my car. Once safe I had a meltdown. After 20 or 30 minutes I realized I had a blackout again. I can't remember what happened after I got out of my car until I was walking down the street hearing myself screaming, cursing at the top of my lungs. It took a few more minutes for me to regain control of myself. I'm still unclear whether or not my blackout is due to my Autism or my Dissociative Disorder.
Needless, either way, I've been shutting down since then. I'm very tired. I can't really think. And my functioning level is "barely". Everything is Shutdown.
If someone asked me what they could do to help, if I had the strength to speak, I'd say nothing. There is nothing that changes the trajectory of a shutdown. I just have to ride this out. Wait for my body to neutralize all the stress hormones. Get as much rest and sleep as possible and DALAP, do as little as possible. That's the quickest way back to the real world.
I don't like it. My life suddenly stopping like this and not knowing when I be up and running again. It is what it is. I can't change it.