Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Saturday, August 19, 2023

Acknowledge your accomplishments

Little take huge amounts of effort when you are Aspie. It's so easy to overlook or disregard our work, the planning, the tremendous effort and will it oft takes to accomplish tasks that seem trivial by neurotypical standards.
I have to consciously tell myself when I've done a good job. It isn't as if there is anyone outside of my being that would be able to notice and remark upon my missions accomplished.
I did a couple of small mountain tasks. I went to the local Farmers Market. The downtown corridor where it is held, was the most densely packed crowd I have ever encountered there. No worries, methought as the produce stand that usually carries my broccoli is near the entry.
Well, usually it has it. Not today. Yes, the thought of chalking it up as a loss and going home empty-handed crossed my mind but there was another two blocks full of vendors. If I carefully staggered my way through the crowds, I was optimistic that I could acquire my produce. That was the move I decided to make.
Sure enough, all the way at the end of the street market, I found the only vendor who had broccoli. I grabbed a couple stalks, paid and high-tailed it back to the car. As I sat in the car, I took a couple of deep calming breaths and said quietly aloud, You Did a Good Job. I'm proud of you, a few times so it would sink in.
It felt good to get that chore done and done to the best of my ability.
Well, I guess I did three noteworthy missions. After the Market, I went straight to the mountain and proceeded to walk hike, not the 1.55 miles I did yesterday, but rather 2.4 miles. It was indeed crowded there, as well, with a large number of hikers with dogs, bicyclists and even a couple of horses. Again, once the chore was complete, I told myself I did good.
My third challenge was going to the local food pantry. I've picked up food there about 4 or 5 times now, and it gets easier and more familiar with each visit.  I'm learning what food items work for me, which ones to avoid, and which ones that it is appropriate to ask for.
It was wonderful and tummy warming to arrive home with two grocery bags of vittles. 
It was a highly productive day. Some days I accomplish one, two or three things. Other days I'm just glad I can get out of bed, walk the dog and feed myself.
Victories come in large, medium, and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment