Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

I Loved Book Reports, the Halcyon Days of Youth

 I remember the halcyon days of fourth grade and book reports. Information required, the Book Report Format was an Aspergian Dream. 

Title

Author

Characters

Story

Plot Summary

This was grand, succinct, to the point, all-inclusive, no questions or explanations required.

I handed in Book Reports every week, oft more than two or three a week because books were one of the accepted public forms of escape from cruelty, neglect, starvation, parentally inflicted, family-accepted pain.

It would be nice to say that as a child I was loved, but that was not the case. I was not loved, nor was I cared for. Of those two I am crystal clear. Umm, I was wanted because my parents needed someone, some thing to push upon all of their decades of pain and torment. Yes, that is the magic sentence. Okay.

I was not seen or acknowledged. I was, basically, used. A receptacle, an object, the oldest daughter, second oldest with all the perverse job activities required thereof.

I was a thing, an object, a babysitter, a place where dad could..., my mothers relief pitcher and stand-in. I didn't have feelings to be asked about, considered or heard. Inanimate. Hmm, yes, I was not allowed to have any thoughts or feelings or emotions regarding the crimes done to me. I said little. I was little, enslaved. Showed no emotion and managed to somehow live through it enough to escape the family house of carnage and ill repute at 18 and runoff with an older male counterpart.

Life doesn't make sense like book reports.

There is no standard form; there are hundreds and thousands. Each person, each situation is different and unique. I have but one pen. I know but one form. Most of my time is spent lost, if I am honest.

But I do exist. So, when able, I will write.

I don't have to have a point, an angle, a cute and corrupt way of writing that entertains...I just have Aspie me.

I write to know I am

because I am and I matter

to me

No comments:

Post a Comment