Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Sunday, June 26, 2016

I Don't Like Photographs of Myself

Although, I don't mind so much if it's just the back of my head. From what I've observed, people typically have photos throughout their home, walls and desk of themselves and their loved ones. I do not. As someone who rarely looks in a mirror, I find photos...unsettling, especially of myself.
I don't recognize my self. I have to consciously say, "hey, that's me," but I don't like to. I'd rather avoid the emotional distress and just keep photos where they belong...in a drawer or on the camera.
I have a small collection of pics of my kids on the fridge. Every time I look at them I have to tell myself  who they are. It's weird because I have this natural knack of guessing the correct age of every kid I see. So I know the photos are of my son at so many months or years of age.
Maybe it's my prosopagnosia, my inability to recognize faces that disturbs me so. Maybe it's my autism that is uncomfortable with eye contact, even from nothing more than a picture. Or it could be the aspect of my autism that reads too much into how someone is feeling on the inside, with a minor glance.
Could it be my DID/MPD in that I can't remember when the photo was taken and, hmm, maybe the reminders of the blackouts make me nervous?
So many various possibilities. All I know is...I don't like photographs.