Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Picking Up Stray Dogs & Learning Lessons

So, when I was fishing the other day, I ended up taking home a lost, stray brown lab. She was very docile, friendly and hungry for food and affection. I thought it would be an easy project to find her family again. Boy, I was so wrong. My expectations were not at all parallel to the truth of the matter.
I've spent the last four days working on locating her owner. Today, I ended up at the city police station and asking them to help me in my search. Via microchip, phone calls and internet searching, I'd located the current owners name. He wouldn't return my or the vets calls but he did call when the police stopped by for a "wellness check."
His name is Calvin and he curtly explained that Sadie, an 8 1/2 year old chocolate lab, had "run off" about a week ago. He said he couldn't take her back because his wife was recently diagnosed with a serious illness. I readily got the gist of things. Sadie, without any collar or tages, had "run off" from a public park clear across town from where he lived. Calvin had probably dropped her at the park having cared for her for less than 2 months.
While I can see Calvin's point of view and empathize with his emotional challenges of having a seriously ill spouse, I also feel deeply saddened at his choice of letting Sadie go like that. She had been roaming the park for 4 or 5 days, alone, hungry and unwanted.
Sadie has had a tough life herself. She was at the Holland Humane Society when previous owner Nick picked her up. Nick had a newborn that had severe allergies to dogs but Nick kept her for four years. Then Sadie lived with Calvin for a few weeks before she was abandoned.
The crazy thing is that Sadie is a wonderful, sweet and obedient dog. It's quite clear that she did nothing to deserve this maltreatment. She probably had no idea that she would end up homeless, living in a public park and relying on the kindness of strangers for food and affection. She did nothing to deserve this. Just like someone else I know. She obeys commands readily, demands nothing and is highly, highly well-trained. She rarely barks, does what she's asked, doesn't get into things and yet she was discarded. Innocent Sadie. Beautiful Sadie. Left to fend for herself.
I mean, I'd understand a bit if she was mean, barky or bitey but she is none of those.
So, she is currently staying at my place for a couple days. While I'd love to keep her, Rosebud, my puppy and Cosmo Spaceman, the kitty are terrified of gentle giant Sadie. I have to keep them separated at all times due to Rosebuds jealousy and Cosmos fear. Sadie spends her indoor time with her head in my lap quietly resting. I've been giving her as much love and attention as I can...because I understand being unwanted and mistreated for no reason. I know she's done nothing wrong to warrant this. I know she wants nothing more than a safe home, something to eat and someone to love her.
Yeah, I understand her. Lesson learned.
It wouldn't be fair to keep her here. Not fair to Rosebud, Cosmo and Sadie. I'm currently looking for a permanent home for her. If I haven't found one within 2 days, I'll give her to the local humane society and hope for the best.
Sadie came into my life, briefly and for a good reason. I get it. I feel for her. I know how to make her feel content, even if it is for a short week.