Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Looking forward to moving

I'm enjoying sorting and packing. It's a relief to get rid of old, unused things that have been accumulating dust and taking up space. I'm figuring out what things I need and what isn't necessary.
In moving, I'm looking forward to gaining. Dignity, independence and self-accountability are just a few things to look forward to. I'm actually kind of excited about budgeting and being responsible for my purchases. No more buying things for the sake of buying. No more thoughtless spending. I plan on relearning all those independent skills that I have lost the past two decades.
On my budget, I'll probably ending up without a cellphone, oh darn. I'll be able to have more time for real life instead of screen time. I'll probably downsize my car to something older and with better mpg's. Previously, when I lived "Section 8" on disability alone, I always managed to have an inexpensive vehicle.
I've experienced wealth and various stages of poverty allowing me to figure out what I really want....a low-key, simple life in a small place of my own. That's it really. Keeping stress as low as possible means less things and living alone with my son and puppy. I'm searching for happiness and I know it's not to be found here, where I currently am.
Growing up, I thought money would solve all my problems and bring me contentment. I'm grateful for the experiences that have shown me that statement is completely untrue. It's more important to be emotionally and physically healthy in an environment that promotes and supports my wellbeing, I have learned. Much more important than money.
I'm finally learning about love via my son and my puppy. Seems odd to say but it's true. Animals and children are more honest than some people I know. And they give.
I'm not looking for anyone to take care of me as I don't need that. Being disable I'll always rely on some forms of government assistance and I'm okay with that. It's simply my reality. I'm more than good with accepting myself as is. I know I'm a good person. I know I'm loving, caring, honest and very kind. I know I'm doing the best I can with what I've been given. It's all good.