Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

A Productive Day

Being alone, we plan an activity for most every day. Our little dog makes sure that we get up before noon so she can go out. Then, I have some coffee and usually get right into whatever task has been set the night before. Every night before falling asleep, we have at least one plan for the next day. Often times, there are a few items on the agenda that we have to put into the order we want to get them done.
Today, laundry at the laundromat was the main goal. On the way to the laundromat, I stopped for coffee and then to the bottle return shop to turn in 4 grocery bags of diet pepsi bottles.
We did something unconventional and risky, in our book. We knew we had more than 75 bottles but the only bottle machine open was the one that said "under 75 only". Two other machines were broken. There was only one person standing in line with, like, about the same amount of bottles as me. Each bag holds about 25, so 100 bottles total. Only 25 over the limit.
Yeah, I decided to push it to the limit, extend my comfort zone and consciously break a written rule. 
I kept waiting for one of the workers to come over and castigate me. I was ready for the reprimand but it never showed up. Ha.
That was kinda fun.
Anyway, after that and the laundromat, I had to stop at the store for apples, bananas, cream cheese, pop and corn, popcorn. So, I'm saying these items aloud in my car so I wouldn't forget. I liked the way it was pretty alphabetical and that I need both pop and corn and could string them together.
After the grocery store, I made chicken livers and onions to go with homemade biscuits. Then after a brief respite, I've started the weekly chore of cooking up dog food for my 9 year old, 12 lb Boston puppy dog. I always make brown rice in the oven, add a protein source, today it is left over roast beef; and additional 3 cans of no salt veggies. The vegetables are a combo of either green beans, cooked carrots, corn or peas. The rice and carrots are cooking right now so I get to rest a few minutes and watch my favorite show Port Protection. 
PP is about a small community of residents in a remote Alaskan town. It's fantastic. I love it. No violence. No drama. No game show or competition. Just a group of people who like to do their own thing and have their own space. They are living a simple, isolated, self serving lifestyle just working to survive each day and often coming together to help each other out.
Cool how.
Yeah, my anger and wrath at all things autism has cooled and tempered. I'm getting back down to basics figuring out how to live my life, my way, each day.
Be well