Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Sunday, December 10, 2023

Another Positive Bus and Walk Day

Decided to take our packages to the fowntown post office via the fareless, talking bus with the 4.7 mile walk home today. The weather was mostly rain less and cool bordering on cold.
The bus driver must have been new because he made a wrong turn and we started to panic. We were thinking of which wrong bus we might have accidentally gotten on, or since it was the weekend and we'd never ridden on the weekend, maybe this was a normal Saturday route. Then, we wonder if we should get off at the next stop to find our right bus. Lots of anxiety ridden thoughts until...we heard the bus driver pickup his talking thingy and notify base that he had made a wrong turn.
Whew!
We calmed back down as the bus made a few turns to get back on the route. Dang, that hadn't happened before and we were totally unprepared for the possibility that the bus would do that. Silly new bus driver man.
We made it to our stop and walked to the post office.
Our packages shipped; our goal complete. Off to get our congratulatory as well as mandatory, Dutch Bro coffee.
We were contemplating whether or not to make any additional stops on our 4 mile return trek. I remembered a couple of small items not necessary but to-be-needed-soon so we decided to stop at the grocery store for that reason and to use a nice, warm and clean restroom.
We procured our goods but the "manager turned cashier because the place was super busy" person messed up our food stamps card and said it was declined for lack of funds, which it indeed was not. So, I had to use my account to be able to take my groceries home. It made me nervous thinking that maybe I had overspent or miscalculated my food stamp allotment. 
[When I returned home, I checked and I did still have funds!]
The walk home was pleasant and uneventful save the blisters forming on two little toes and one big one. I had to wear my waterproof black walking shoes due to the possibility of rain and my feet were not used to them.
It was nice to get home and cook up some salmon patties with canned salmon, bread crumbs, cheese, celery, onion and egg. I sure do get hungry and eat more on the long walk, cold weather days like today.
I had fun. I do like to walk. And I am getting less and less nervous on the free talking bus.