Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Sunday, December 24, 2023

I am all alone; this could be good, positive

Alone can mean many things. Often we can readily identify the negative connotations such as sadness, loneliness and depression.
What we frequently overlook are the possible positive and beneficial qualities of being completely alone.
Alone can mean freedom, a personal freedom impossible when one has to answer to family obligations or friends invitations. Freedom to be exactly who you are without external influences, opinions and pressures.
Alone means I do not have to constantly consider how my actions within my own home, may affect those I live with. I can leave the dirty dishes in the sink until I feel compelled to do them not when my partner expects it or my kid makes a snarky comment.
Alone allows me to understand this new concept called "inertia" wherein a property of matter by which it continues in its existing state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line, unless that state is changed by an external force. I put my open journal of private thoughts and musings upon the living room table. It will not move from that location unless I choose to move it. No one will read or comment on my private personal notes. I have gained the freedoms of inertia as well as new found privacy.
The open bag of pretzels will remain exactly where I leave it. Not a single additional pretzel will be removed until I choose to do so.
I have freedom to choose if and when I do something.
I am free to lay upon the couch and bingewatch Star Treks for days at a time while eating nuts and drinking soda. No harm. No foul. No sin. No one cares. But I may have a fantastic time doing just that.
Alone allows me to discover who I really am.
Without a partner, without raising children, I am someone completely different and new. Me.
I really don't know who I am, yet, but each day alone gives me some small clues.
Alone can be necessary in order to discover who you are and what makes you tick.
Do that. Be you.