Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Saturday, August 11, 2018

I have my own bed, feeling grateful

Lying in bed last night, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. I realized that my dream of having my own comfy bed, which had been unfulfilled off and on throughout my life and especially the last 20 years, had come true.
Having your own bed is kindof big. It's like it is safety and security; something as simple as having a pillow, blanket and some comfort is huge.
My mind filled with other things I'm thankful for: clean sheets, a pillowcase, a warm blanket, a room of my own, not having to worry about anyone coming into my room and bad things happening, the food in my cupboard (probably enough to last a week and the cupboards aren't full, by any means, but there's a lot), clean towels, ample toilet paper, soft towels both on the rack in the bathroom and in the closet, a warm puppy snuggled up to me, open windows and a fan quietly droning, a closet full of clothes and drawers, too. Lots and lots of things that I never thought I would ever have.
I have two jars chock full of coins. That makes me mighty rich And able to do my laundry whenever I wish.
I've got my own television with cable in my own spacious living room. I can pay for my own internet and have the old movie channel.
One of my dear Michigan friends sent me a Mondo bag of delicious Dove chocolates. Every time I have a few after dinner, I'm reminded someone cares for me.
I picked blackberries today, from my own yard. I gave half to one of my neighbors. I now have three neighbors that I frequently small talk with. That, is, huge.
I spend an hour or two painting most days. Painting soothes my soul for some reason.
I'm in a really good place. Last night I realized and affirmed that.