Tuesday, May 7, 2024

A Boy Called Po movie review


 I watched "A Boy Called Po" last week, a story of an Autistic child and a single father navigating challenges. Honestly, I have mixed feelings regarding this movie. I think it is helpful, insightful and positive for parents of Autistic youngsters but I found little value personally and information wise for Aspie adults such as myself.

The widowed father is the focus point here. He is diligently, faithful working to find solutions for his son's schooling and problematic behaviors. You can readily see how much he loves his child. He enlists the aid and advice from others and is willing to try almost anything to assist and make his kid more content.

I guess that I did gain a newfound appreciation for parents with kids on the spectrum who require much more assistance. I can't imagine the difficulty, the consternation involved in trying to decide what is best for someone you love. I saw the father's uncertainty and grasping and gasping for answers and help. The movie did portray that well and probably accurately.

The Boy Po, is an interesting short, rather, young guy around 9 or 10, I would hazard a guess. The actor portrays Autistic traits well. I could readily see and recognize he was on the spectrum with normal characteristics. He is being harmed at school, bullying and harassed, to the point of sustaining bruises and physical injury.

The state agency to protect children is called in suspecting the father of child abuse. This was a newer situation to witness but I am certain it does happen, hence a good movie about parental difficulties. A social worker presents the father with options on placing his son so that he might better thrive and avoid more harm from other students.

I guess, the movie made me uncomfortable in its realism. It hurt to watch because I know that all that the movie presented actually does happen out there in the real world. Sad and others being hurt is painful for me to watch, hence no glowing review.

I did, overall, like the movie and its main ideals. I did not find any misinformation. A good movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment