Friday, May 3, 2024

I get fixated and write and write and write until it makes sense

 When I come across weird facts that boggle my mind and I just cannot comprehend them, I will unrelentingly write and rewrite and write the information repeatedly, and over and over, ad nauseum until it makes a little sense, I just don't care anymore or I've become fixated on something else.

Case in point, when I was doing genealogy research, a great fun hobby interest that provides tons of research opportunities, I discovered that not only was my double great grandmother a whore, prostitute in Grand Rapids, Michigan in the earl 1900's, but also that my 3rd great grandmother was married and divorced five times from the mid 1800's until her death in 1917. Five times. Five husbands. Eight Children, At least four divorces that I have found actual records for.

I am related to this person. It fascinates and boggles me. I did not even know divorce existed in the second half of the 1800's. Really. I did not know this. True, it was a somewhat rare phenomenon but my grandmother utilized the system with great frequency.

It appears that she usually married someone at least 10 years her senior, an older man.

Here is me, her great-great-great granddaughter (I think I got that right, not really sure) writing about her life. I think she is one of my most fascinating relatives and it would have been fun to meet her and find out why she married and divorced so much.

And, oh yes, I continue to write about it, currently in a new notebook, to further discover and make sense of it all.


My 3rd Great Grandmother

Harriet A. French Bates Lee Taylor Merritt Rice

Harriet A. French was born to Marvin and Annie Amy Heath French in Ohio, probably Freedom, Woods County on January 10th of 1841. The 1850 census is the first record for her and that is in the aforementioned location.

1858 At age 18, Harriet marries George S. Bates, a 30 year old painter who was born in Vermont. They live in Homer, Calhoun, Michigan. How and when did Harriet move from Ohio to Michigan and how did she meet George?

1859 Son Charles Franklin Bates is born on July 15 (d. March 10, 1909 at Michigan Hospital for the Feeble Minded & Epileptic, Lapeer Michigan, at 49 years old. He is buried in Coopersville Cemetery alongside his mother.)

1860 Harriet, George and son Charles Franklin are living in Homer, Calhoun County, Michigan.

Divorce of George Bates

1862 Harriet’s 2nd husband is David Lee. They marry June 21, in Homer.

1865 Her son William J. Lee is born in Illinois.

1869 Daughter Hattie Lee is born in Coopersville, Michigan

1870 Harriet is 28. David Lee 53 a carpenter born in New York, along with Eli Lee 20 born New York, Franklin 14, Ida 9, William 5 and Almira 1, are living in Byron Township, Kent County, Michigan

1872 Son Walter Lee is born (He dies in 1893 at 21 years old and is buried in Coopersville Cemetery along with his mother and brother.)

 Divorce of David Lee

 Move to Kansas

1873 Marriage to John A.J. Taylor June 7, in Ottawa, Franklin, Kansas

1874 Son, my Great Great Grandfather, Frederick Herman Taylor is born on February 28 in Ottawa Kansas.

1875 March 1 Kansas census finds Harriet Taylor 34, born Ohio, from Michigan; Ida Bates 14 born Michigan, from Michigan; Allie Lee 5 (Almira) born Iowa, from Michigan; Walter Lee 3 born Michigan, from Michigan; John A. Taylor, 49 born Michigan, from Michigan; and great great grandpa Fred Taylor born Kansas

 Move to Michigan

 Divorce from John A. Taylor

1880 Harriet is head of household and has moved back to Coopersville, Michigan with son Frederick H. 6; Franklin Bates 20; Mary I. Blackmer 18 daughter, Harley J. Blackmer 2 months old, grandson; William J. Lee 15 son.

1893 death of son Walter Lee

1894 Marriage to Gerrit Merritt August 13, Croton Township, Newaygo CO, Michigan

1900 Divorced Gerrit Merritt

1900 Living in Polkton Township, Coopersville, Kent County Michigan with son Frank Bates born July 1859; her status is listed as widowed, married 42 years and mother of 8 children, 4 still living. Living next door to dauughter Hattie Almira DeShane.

1901 Marriage to Asa Rice March 20, Coopersville, Muskegon County Michigan. She listed her name as Hatty A. Merritt French, so I am sure its her.

1909 death of son Charles Franklin Bates

1910 Mrs. Harriet Rice, Polkton Township 

1917 died January 14, 1917, Polkton Township, Ottawa County, Michigan.Buried Coopersville Cemetery with headstone.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment