Prepare to enter the wild and wooly world of an adult with Aspergers Syndrome, a form of autism characterized by intellignce, quirks, social difficulties and downright strange and oddish behaviours.

People with Aspergers generally are high functioning in everyday life but have great difficulty connecting with others due to the inability to read faces, body language and subtle verbal clues. They also tend to take words literally and have a hard time multi-tasking.

Oversensitivity to touch (clothing has to be soft and often the tags removed), light (do not leave home without the sunglasses), sound (loud noises and noisey places are avoided), taste (many Aspies have quite a limited diet and are frequently very picky eaters) and smells makes the everyday existence more of a challenge.

Fasten your seatbelts and come on in...
To find out more about what Aspergers is..please check out my earliest blog entries

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Eric, I tried to help but I failed you

The school system failed you. I remember when you were this little boy in school with my son. You caught my eye. You were different from all the other kids. You reminded me...of me. Your beautiful eyes often haunted, empty. I could see your pain. I don't know who was hurting you or how, but I knew someone was being very cruel to you.
 You were the first abused kid I spoke out for. At recess, amongst flying basketballs and kids shouting your name, you stood there, dissociate, blank and very far away. 
 I was so sure. I mustered huge courage and sat down with the school administrator. I said "Eric needs help. I think he is being abused." I made my case, reporting all the signs and symptoms. I dont know if the school ever investigated or called protective services.
Maybe that's a call I should have made. I didn't know what else to do.
 After that, every time I saw him, I would smile, say hi and pat his shoulder. I wanted him to know I cared.
 Eric killed himself in prison yesterday. He had murdered a police officer and had recently been sentenced to life. Every time I saw his face, those eyes, on tv, something was familiar, I just didn't know what. 
 Now I know.
I knew something very bad was happening to Eric. I did my best to try and get help. I didn't do enough. I failed this innocent young boy. His parents/ guardians failed him. The teachers, administrators and bystanders who knew he was being hurt, failed him.
 For Gods sake, call child protective services if you suspect a child is being hurt. 
 A police officer lost his life. Eric's son will never know his dad. 
 Child Abuse Kills
  Do Something
Say Something
In memory of Eric. May you rest in peace. No one can hurt you anymore.